Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I have a client who is driving me nuts...

Thank you jetgirl for the contribution to the content today. ;-)

Anyone who has ever run a business where you serve a client has run into this one.  Working in I.T. is no exception.  Have you ever had a client who, shortly in to the project, starts doing things like this ?

  • initiates contact by talking about price first - of course that is the only driving factor in a good business deal, right ?
  • always want to talk on the phone - how dare you try to multi-task ?
  • constantly changes requirements - this makes me want to get sick
  • imposes emergencies on you - that's what lazy people do when they want someone else to do work for them, fast.
  • complains about other vendors or clients he/she's worked with - shows an overall disregard for professionalism.
What you've got is a problem client my dearies.  What I typically have done to keep these people away from me, is over-quote them.  If they realize how much it actually costs to do the work they need, they are most-likely going to bail.  (Folks who start out by asking about price are concerned with paying as little as possible and you'll most-likely end up doing free one-offs and hating yourself at the end of the project.    )

But what do you do if you really need the money ?

No comments:

Post a Comment